In 1917, construction on the causeway began, after the Collins Bridge (known as the Venetian Causeway today) was deteriorating. The Bridge was the only route that connected mainland Miami with iami Beach. In 1920, construction was completed on the causeway.
In 1942, the Florida State Road Board voted to change the name of the causeway to MacArthur Causeway, after WWII General Douglas MacArthur. Today, the road is a six-lane causeway, connecting Downtown Miami and South Beach by cossing over Biscayne Bay.